FIRST METHODIST CHURCH -
The First Methodist is the oldest and mother church of the Fox Hill
community. It dates back some twenty years before the War Between the States.
The land was given by Mr. Henry Guy and his mother, Elizabeth, in the year 1844,
and they deeded it to seven trustees whose names are given as: R.A. Armstead,
James Phillips, Jacob Ham, Major P. Bloxom, William A.G.W. Topping, John Cooper,
and Henry Elliott.
During the Civil War in 1862, it was burned or torn down. Some of the
material was salvaged by loyal members, and at the close of the war in 1866 the
church was rebuilt on the present site. The record lists the names of only two
members, John dark and William Wallace, who helped rebuild the church after the
war. This church served the community until 1878 when it was torn down to make
room for a larger building. The lofty steeplewith belfry was added under the
leadership of the Rev. V.W. Bargamin during the year 1894. In 1931 at the time
that Rev. H.T. Todd served the charge the church was completely reconditioned.
First Church -
Fox Hill was connected with the First Methodist Church of Hampton until 1875.
The record of the ministers who served this church is incomplete, but the names
of Rev. B.W. Daugherty, Rev. J.B. Lourens, Rev. William McGee, Rev. T. McN.
Simon, and Rev.Lumsdon are included during this period.
At this time
the church was made a separate station, or charge, and Rev. Cox, Rev. T.H.
White, Rev. W.T. Williams, Rev. J.T. Lennon, Rev. Herbert T. Bacon, Rev. James
L. Spencer, Rev. R.O. Payne, Rev. Thomas J. Wray, Rev. J.T. Alien, Rev. W.T.
Hayes, Rev. B.W. Bargamin, Rev. McDaniel Rucker, Rev. W.A. Tompkins, Rev. J.T.
Green, Rev. James 0. Moss, and Rev. Thomas E. Johnson were pastors under this
This church was connected with the East Hampton Methodist Church from
1905 to October 1953, and they together comprised the Hampton
Roads Charge. The ministers to serve those churches were:
Edwards Jr., Rev. V.R. Turner, Rev. W.F. Davis, Rev. J.H.
Charles W. Ray, Rev. W.G. Bates, Jr. and Rev. W.A.
began his pastorate in 1910 and was the first to serve for
four years. He
as followed by Rev. L.A. Smith, Rev. W.F. Draper, Rev.
Rev. Ainsworth, Rev. Wilson, Rev. R.R. Burnetts, Rev.
Rev. J.W. Fizer, and Rev. H.E. Todd, 1928 - 1931, Rev.
Estes come to the church single, married Hazel Elliott, a
later entered the U.S. Army Chaplain Corps. And is now a
Colonel retired. The Rev. J. Melvin Trower, was our first and
to serve six years, and it was during his fiscal year a
planned for the charge. The parsonage was completed
first of two years served by Rev. L.C. Moore, who succeeded
and in September of 1944 the charge made the final
payment on the
parsonage on the East Hampton church lot.
Wilson, grandfather of W.V. Wilson, was a charter member of this church. He was communion steward from the
the church until his death at the age of 74. At that time
Bloxom the father of Mrs. Elijah Wallace, was appointed and
until 1904. Mrs. Elijah Wallace has been a communion
Mrs. Paul Obey is now serving.
Mr. Tom Benthall was the first church school superintendent, and
Magor, Mr. Robert Wallace, Mr. Mathew Wallace, Mr.
McCann, Charles Rowe also served in the capacity. Willis
been superintendent for the past fifteen years.
Records show that Mr. Adolphus Guy served as secretary-treasurer of the
church from 1883 to the early 1900's. Mr. Dick Bloxom held
this office from about 1904 to 1928, at which time Mr. Elijah Wallace,
the present treasurer was elected to serve in this capacity.
James M. Elliott at the time of his death was the oldest member of
the church and
was a descendant of William Elliott of the Eastern
organized the first Sunday school in Virginia.
Pastors to serve during the last decade of the old Hampton
Norfolk District were: Rev. Stuart M. Inglehart, 1944-1948,
and it was
during this last year that the new educational building at
was planned, and the drive for funds for that purpose was
Inglehart was succeeded by Rev. J. Floyd Carroll 1948-1952 and it was during his
pastorate we built and paid for our new educational
building, costing some $13,000. The last minister to serve the
Hampton Roads Charge was Rev. George W. Ports, Jr. For one year
from October 1952 to October 1953, after which church became an independent
It was during Mr. Ports' year that plans were started for the
erection of a
new parsonage, and at a church conference held on October
4,1953 we agreed to purchase a lot from Mr. Elliott Schaub at 49
Beach Road on which the parsonage now stands. This church received
the sum of $6,500 from the East Hampton Methodist Church which
was their share of the equity in their parsonage. The construction
of the parsonage was started in the spring of 1954 and completed
in the same year for approximately $16,000 with the laymen of
the church doing much of the work.
In addition to the sanctuary, the educational building and the
church owns approximately two and two tenths acres of
Bloxom's Corner for a future church site, which as purchased
consent of the church in conference held on February
the Kity Copeland estate for $5000.
The total value of all church properties at the time of this writing
to be approximately $80,000. The entire church building to
church and parsonage furnishings as well as the future
are debt free. However, we still owe $6500 with interest at
4 on the
parsonage building. This debt is being retired at the rate of
$1000 to $1500
each year, and we hope to do even better.
This Church was under the
jurisdiction of the Norfolk District of Virginia Conference until May 31,1954 with Dr. W. Kenneth Haddock
district superintendent under this arrangement. It was he who
commanding leadership, with the full support of Bishop Paul N.
bringing about the establishment of the New Peninsula
which we are a part with twenty seven other churches, under
capable leadership of Dr. William P. Watkins, our first
This little church, though
serving the community of some one
fourteen years, has made more rapid strides in recent
becoming a station at the beginning of the short church year
1953 to May 31,1954. At the close of this church year
Rev. Earle W.
Paylor, Jr. will have served this church for four years
months, from October 1953 to May 31,1958. During this
his able and devoted Christian leadership, the church has
steady and healthy growth. We are so thankful for his
have indeed been blessed with good ministers, but none
Let us also pause to give a word of thanks for our laymen and
our church and for those saints who have gone before us.
Much might be
said here concerning them, both past and present, and
by name, but
for fear some one might be left out, the writer refrains
mentioning any at this time - but to pause to state the church is
indebted to them for their many years of devoted Christian
service to the
church and to the community.
Thou eternal God our Father:
Hear or prayer today; we seek they mercy, and forgiveness, for
our oft going
Give us strength for every trail, and courage for our onward
march, may thy
presence be ever with us, as we humbly take our cross.
May we follow
in His footsteps, until we hear Thee say well done, then
we will say
Alleluiah Sunday, March 30,20033/30/2003- By the grace
In Jesus name
we pray - Amen
Sunday, March 30, 2003
Rewritten by Judy C. Riss
from the Cook Book of the First Methodist Church,
Fox Hill, Virginia
Edith Spencer Circle - 1958