Methodist Church History
1844, the First Methodist Church in Fox Hill was built on the corner of Hall
and Beach Road on a parcel of land given by Mr Henry Guy and his mother,
Elizabeth. In 1862, during the Civil War, the church was torn or burned down.
It was rebuilt in 1866. The original building served the community until 1878
when it was demolished to make room for a larger building. In 1875, the
Reverend Baugham, recommended the purchase of an organ for the church. Many
church members disagreed on bringing a musical instrument into the church, so
in 1895, a group of Fox Hillians living further toward the bay started
worshipping in the Knights Templars building located in the 400 block of Beach
In 1895, Mr
William P. Wallace gave a parcel of land 60 x 80 feet for the purpose of
erecting a church building. The corner stone to the church was laid in 1896.
The original church organizers were:
J. H. Clark,Sr., Mary E. Clark, J. H. Clark, Jr., Diana Clark, B. F.
Rowe, Susan A. Rowe, John Lewis, Sr., G. T. Elliott, Sr., Emmaline Elliott, G.
T. Elliott, Jr., Bell Elliott, J. W. Johnson, Sr., Sadie Johnson, J. F.
Johnson, Mary J. Johnson, George Johnson, Sr., T. J. Johsnon, Sr., Betty
Johnson, D. S. Johnson, Sr., M. R. Johnson, M. V. Johnson, M. P. Wallace, and
Martha V. Wallace
1898, a Reverend Goodrich, who was then serving a charge in Surry and Prince
George Counties, consented to hold preaching services occasionally. Though
there is no record of his means of transportation, assumption is made that he
must have crossed the James River by ferry and completed the remainder of the
journey on horseback. We were very fortunate to have many faithful members who
taught and carried on our church business even though, at first, we didn't
have a full time minister.
Maryland Conference of 1897 accepted the church as a member and the Reverend
George H. Stockdale became the minister. He was followed by the Reverend
Charles M. Zepp during whose pastorate the Christian Endeavor Society was
1901, the first parsonage was built. It was also this year when some members
broke away and founded what was known as the Middle Church, todays Central
United Methodist Church. In 1906, the church was renamed to Wallace Memorial
Methodist Protestant Church in honor of William Wallace. His picture hangs
today in the Ladies' Sunday School room which is also the Social Hall of the
church next to the scantuary.
1939, our church became known as Wallace Memorial Methodist Church after
affiliation with the Virginia Annual Conference.
the years, the church building has undergone numerous changes. The original
structure, which is the present sanctuary, once had a lofty steeple with
belfry. The large bell pealed out its joyful notes at meeting time, calling
all to worship. It was also used to toll the sorrowful last rites of departed
members. In 1945, the spire was declared unsafe for the heavy bell and it was
removed. In 1971, Rondall Spencer, a faithful follower, had a metal tower
erected on the side of the church for the bell and once again it could be
heard. The tower and bell were removed and another faithful follower, Captain
Marshall Smith had the bell sandblasted in preparation for remounting. The
mounting never took place for one reason or another. Today, however, we will
toll the bell once more. Our original beloved church bell stands proud on our
newly bricked foundation that two other faithful follows, John Mason and Chet
Wishon, diligently worked on so hard to make happen for this anniversary.
new narthex was added to the existing structure in 1945 and the social
hall/Ladies Sunday School room followed. In 1950, 9 church school rooms were
built onto the back of the building.
1962, a parcel of land adjacent to the church was purchased for a parking lot
two lots on the west side of Johnson Road for erection of a new parsonage. The
parsonage was dedicated in October of 1962 during the ministry of Reverend
By 1972, the Sunday school rooms needed
upgrading so the rooms were paneled painted.
In recent years, we have had the electricity
upgraded, added the chandeliers in the sanctuary and social hall and had the
kitchen redone. Through the efforts of the entire church and the leadership of
Vickie Gage, we have started having the "suppers" that Fox Hillians
are so noted for to raise money to help with church expenses.
Wallace Memorial, while not the largest of
churches and certainly not the one with the most members, is a church which
has always had the most dedicated and faithful members any church could have.
We have accomplished more with so little and have I blessing upon blessing
bestowed on our church family. Our history is one rich with people who
believed and accomplished things and influenced the community greatly. All
people are welcomed to our doors and whenever there is a need in the
community, Wallace Memorial is always there to help.
We are a church
dedicated to the Lord and thankful for all he has given.
J. H. Clark, Sr.
Mary E. Clark
J. H. Clark, Jr.
B. F. Rowe
Susan A. Rowe
John Lewis, Sr.
G. T. Elliott, Sr.
G. T. Elliott, Jr.
J. W. Johnson, Sr.
J. F. Johnson
Mary J. Johnson
George Johnson, Sr.
T. J. Johsnon, Sr.
D. S. Johnson, Sr.
M. R. Johnson
M. V. Johnson
M. P. Wallace
Martha V. Wallace
Dates in Church History
- First Methodist Church of Fox Hill, corner of Hall and Beach Roads
deeded to 7 Trustees on a parcel
of land given by Mr. Henry Guy and his mother, Elizabeth
- Civil War - First Church burned down
- Church Rebuilt
- Minister, Reverend Baughman,
recommended purchase of organ; many members disagreed about having a musical
instrument in the Church
1875 - Made separate charge from
First Methodist of Hampton
- First Church demolished to make
room for larger church
- Some members moved toward the
bay and used the Knights Templars Meeting Hall to start our church
- Present church corner stone was
laid on land donated by William Wallace
- Church accepted into Maryland
- 1st Parsonage was built
- Church was named after G. W. Wallace who donated
the land the church was built on
- Church became part of the
Virginia Methodist Church Conferenc
- Bell removed from the steeple
- Nine church school rooms added
- Two lots purchased for parking and parsonage
- Metal tower built to house church bell
1996 - Bell remounted on brick foundation
SERVING OUR CHURCH
Goodrich 1896 -1897
H. Stocksdale 1897 -1899
Charlie Zepp 1899 -1901
L. Stevens 1901 -1903
F. Norris 1903 -1905
V. Cosaboon 1905 -1906
J. Phillips 1906 -1908
W. Simms 1908 - 1909
E. Hungerford 1909 - 1912
F. Wooden 1912 -1915
E. Massey 1915 - 1917
F. Raines 1917 - 1918
K. McCorkle 1918 -1921
F. Bauscher 1921-1923
W. Ports 1923 - 1926
B. Bailey 1926 - 1928
H. Dobson 1928 - 1929
W. Siffrin 1929 - 1930
E. Hudgins 1931 - 1933
A. Pierce 1933 - 1937
N. Hassell 1937 -1940
O. Brittingham 1940 - 1941
E. Hudson 1941 -1943
H. Ashby 1943 -1944
L. Kibler, Jr 1944 -1947
Broom 1947 -1948
T. Hartsoe 1948 -1949
B. Cook 1949 -1952
E. Shaw 1952 -1954
Henley 1954 -1960
L. Blankenship 1960 - 1961
B. Johnson 1961 - 1963
M. King 1963 - 1965
Kelly 1965 -1966
P. Hall, Jr 1966 - 1968
McNutt 1968 - 1970
Bare 1970 - 1973
Cooper 1973 - 1975
Richardson 1975 - 1978
Harris 1978 - 1981
A. Baird 1981 - 1986
Edmonson 1986 - 1990
D. Pugh 1990 - 1993
Adams 1993 1997